Daphne's Favorite Brussels Sprouts
This recipe is a favorite of Daphne's. The tip she received directly from Pescadero, CA farmers who grew Brussels sprouts, was to be sure to cut into the middle of the vegetable before cooking it. Cutting the vegetable in half or quarters releases the compounds found in the middle of the sprout and decreases the bitter taste of the vegetable.
- 1.5 pounds organic Brussels sprouts halved, stems and ragged outer leaves removed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil or grease the baking sheet with Myoko's butter.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and then toss the Brussels sprouts with the olive oil, the salt, the balsamic vinegar, and the pepper.
- Arrange the Brussels sprouts so that the flat side is face-down.
- Roast until tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes. You can stir them once halfway through or if you are like Daphne, who prefers hers charred, don't stir them and leave them in the oven for a bit longer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then serve.