Macadamia-Crusted Coconut Tofu
Vegan adaptation by Hec Delgado from a Canyon Ranch recipe. Enjoy!
- 14 oz firm organic Tofu (in water) sliced width-wise into 1/4" pieces
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup macademia nuts crushed
Carmelized Pineapple Sauce
- 1 tsp vegan butter (e.g., Organic Earth Balance)
- 3 tbsp onion finely minced
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice frozen concentrated
- 1 1/2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger minced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp tamari low-sodium
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil.
- Dip tofu into coconut milk and roll in crushed macadamia nuts.
- Place in baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes on upper rack, or until crust is slightly brown.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the vegan butter over low heat.
- Add onions and cook until transparent. Add pineapple and cook until all ingredients are browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pineapple juice and rice vinegar. Cook sauce for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick and golden.
- Add ginger and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add vanilla bean, tamari sauce, cayenne pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean and puree.
Serve approximately 2 slices with 1/4 cup caramelized pineapple sauce.