Peanut Tofu Lettuce Cups
Savory, crisp and fresh, peanut tofu lettuce cups are a healthy snack or meal.
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 12 oz silken firm tofu pressed to remove moisture and diced
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 medium red bell peppers seeded and cut into matchsticks
- ½ medium carrot peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ¾ cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 large basil leaves, chopped
- 10 large mint leaves, chopped
- 6-12 large leaves of Boston bibb lettuce
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Whisk together the peanut butter, water, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, and brown sugar.
- Gently toss the tofu and half of the chopped peanuts with the peanut sauce. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, taking care not to brown. Add the pepper and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and soy sauce, and cover the pan tightly with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes, until the cabbage just begins to soften.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Toss together with the green onions, cilantro, basil, and mint.
- Lay out the leaves of lettuce. One leaf will be enough if they are large. If the leaves are small, use two leaves and slightly overlap them.
- Divide the tofu mixture evenly between the lettuce cups then top with the sautéed vegetables and herbs.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped peanuts.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Nutrients per serving (6 servings): Calories: 221; Total Fat: 15.8g; Saturated Fat: 2.4g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 250 mg; Carbs: 12.0g; Fiber: 2.6g; Sugars: 4.4g; Protein: 10.2g The recipe came from Once Again Peanut Butter and has been adapted slightly by our personal chef, Hec Delgado.