Mexican Lentil Soup
Another favorite from our kitchen is this lentil soup that is easy to make and pleasing to eat. It also tastes better the next day, so be sure to make extra. You can even freeze some for later. We give thanks to Feliçitas Vences Delgado for this wonderful recipe, which her son, Hec Delgado, adapted slightly.
- 2 lbs brown lentil rinsed
- 10 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 jalapeños (or more if you like it spicier) chopped
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- ½ tea cumin powder
- ½ tea garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil add more if desired
- Start by cooking the lentils as directed, add plenty of water as they dry as they cook. It usually takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook.
- Mix the tomatoes, jalapeño, and onion in a big bowl. Salt to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a big sauce pan and add the tomato mixture. Cook until mixture becomes a purée (about 35 – 45 minutes). Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick and burn to the pan.
- When ready, mix lentils and mixture in deep pan. Add cumin and garlic powders, and salt to taste.
- Keep cooking at low heat and adjust seasoning and/or add water as needed.