- 2 pounds brown lentils, rinsed
- 10 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeños (or more if you like it spicier), chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or more)
- Start by cooking the lentils as directed, add plenty of water as they dry as they cook. It usually takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook.
- Mix the tomatoes, jalapeño, and onion in a big bowl. Salt to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a big sauce pan and add the tomato mixture. Cook until mixture becomes a purée (about 35 – 45 minutes). Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick and burn to the pan.
- When ready, mix lentils and mixture in deep pan. Add cumin and garlic powders, and salt to taste.
- Keep cooking at low heat and adjust seasoning and/or add water as needed.