Macadamia-Crusted Coconut Tofu
14 oz Firm organic Tofu (in water) sliced width-wise into 1/4″ pieces.
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup crushed macadamia nuts
Caramelized pineapple sauce:
1 teaspoon vegan butter (organic Earth Balance…)
3 tablespoons finely minced onion
1/2 cup diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
1/4 cup frozen concentrated pineapple juice
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon minced ginger (optional)
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 vanilla bean
1/2 teaspoon low-sodium tamari
Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil.
- Dip tofu into coconut milk and roll in crushed macadamia nuts. Place in baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes on upper rack, or until crust is slightly brown.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the vegan butter over low heat. Add onions and cook until transparent. Add pineapple and cook until all ingredients are browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add pineapple juice and rice vinegar. Cook sauce for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick and golden.
- Add ginger and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add vanilla bean, tamari sauce, cayenne pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove vanilla bean and puree.
- Serve approximately 2 slices with 1/4 cup caramelized pineapple jus
Makes 4 servings
Serve over brown rice.